• Triple-A Memphis moved into first place in the Pacific Coast League American Northern Division with a 7-3 win over Oklahoma City on Saturday. Because the Redbirds won the series against second-place Omaha, they own the tiebreaker advantage and therefore have a magic number of one with two days remaining in the season.
Greg Garcia and Chad Huffman contributed home runs in the win, which was the ninth in 13 games for Memphis.
• The Cardinals' short-season affiliate in State College claimed the first Pinckney Division championship (New York-Penn League) in Spikes franchise history with a 7-4 victory on Saturday. The club opens a best-of-three semifinal playoff series on Friday.
• New Pirate Justin Morneau said he exchanged a few texts with former Major Leaguer Larry Walker on Saturday night. During that exchange, Walker shared the story of his August trade to the Cardinals in 2004.
"He let me know he struck out in his first at-bat with the Cardinals and got a standing ovation," Morneau said. "He said, 'Try to top that.'"
• The Reds have announced the following pitching probables for the Cardinals' upcoming trip to Cincinnati: Mat Latos (13-5, 3.03 ERA) on Monday, Homer Bailey (9-10, 3.55) on Tuesday, Bronson Arroyo (13-10, 3.66) on Wednesday and Tony Cingrani (6-3, 2.76) on Thursday.
• Right-hander Michael Blazek has been sent to the Brewers as the player to be named in the trade that brought right-handed reliever John Axford to the Cardinals on Friday. Blazek made 11 relief appearances for the Cardinals this season and posted a 6.97 ERA. After MLB.com's midseason re-rankings, Blazek was listed as the organization's fifth-best Minor League prospect.
Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, and follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.